We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Manifold Blessings

There have been times in my life when I felt tremendously blessed. My wedding day, the birth of my two children, my daughter's wedding day are all the "big" blessings that stand out and come easily to mind.

But as I spent some prayer time this evening I became aware of the many "small" blessings I have been granted lately. Then, of course, as I am in the habit of doing, I expanded my realization to the point of babbling to myself that if I am aware of two or three small blessings I received today, there must a thousand other small blessings I didn't count when they occurred or that I allowed to pass by without the appropriate gratitude . . . and on and on and on. That's how I operate and those who know me well will contest to that very readily!

From this point on, I am going to try to record my blessings as I receive them. I know it's a somewhat daunting task, but I just have to share God's abundance and grace evidenced in my life! So here goes. The blessings I received today:

1) I watched one of the 18-month old twin boys I nanny for "construct" a train by pushing together two of his trucks and then he called out "choo choo." We had finished watching a Thomas the Train episode about an hour earlier and clearly his brain clicked into a new developmental level today! It was so cute and I am so very fortunate to watch him and his brother and sister growing up.

2) I helped the 3 1/2 year old sister of the boys learn how to button and unbutton. Her mom bought some really neat wood puzzles the other day and one of them has a shirt with two big buttons/buttonholes, pants with a belt and buckle, etc. She sat next to me for the initial demonstration then on my lap, on the couch, back to my lap all afternoon.

I began caring for the three children 17 months ago. The boys were practically newborns and their sister had just turned 2. Some days I forget how lucky I am to share their lives.

3) We have our son back. This is the greatest blessing of all! Since we received an accurate diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome (which I share with his permission) we have been able to seek out the appropriate medications and other therapies that will benefit him in his quest to become an independent adult. He has been adrift due to some emotional issues over the past year and 1/2 or so and we have grown more and more concerned that we might not get him back - that he might not know how to find his way back, but he's starting down the right path now! His eyes are bright, he looks and sounds hopeful and excited about his upcoming stay at Woodrow Wilson in Fishersville. He will attend 10 weeks of Independent Living/Transitional Living intensive training. I fully expect an alert, enthusiastic young man will retun to us in November. He (and we) now feel he has a bright and promising future!

God is so very good that I could never begin to thank Him or express my gratitude appropriately. All I can do is recognize and rejoice in my blessings every day, and share them with others. I believe He wants me to spread the Good News of the supernatural hope and healing, peace and joy, comfort and care that is avialable through Christ, "Jehovah saves", "Anointed One", "Son of God", "Emmanuel" (God with us), "Savior", "Lamb of God" (sacrificial offering), "Comforter."

How incredible that Christ the King is known by so many names! That is because He is a personal savior. He is to me exactly what I need and to you exactly what you need in order to be saved, comforted, cared for and cared about, loved and forgiven. A God too big to imagine came to earth just for me; just for you.

How then can I not declare my manifold blessings?

No comments: