We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Burdened? Lay it Down

This morning I installed the code for yet another prayer button Edie at Rich Gifts designed for a beautiful sister in Christ who is in the spiritual battle of her life--for her life. I felt weighed down and overwhelmed--not by the needs of my friend. Not by the effort to rally prayer warriors on my friend's behalf. I felt burdened as if I were personally responsible for the outcome of the prayers. I all too often fall into the trap of praying as if I were the one responsible for the result!

Yes, I felt burdened. Not "put upon" or inconvenienced. Burdened. You see, I spent several minutes in prayer this morning about some things in my life. Then I began to think of all the individuals I know and their need for prayer - some about huge, very specific matters of physical survival; others who must make decisions about their future or their children's future that will be life-changing. Some of them struggle with physical or emotional or spiritual issues. Some just need to feel blanketed in prayer to make it through each day.

All of us need prayer. All day. Every day. As one of those "I can do it" and "I'll take care of that" people, I tend to take on each burden of which I am made aware and carry it with me . . . until the burden becomes so large that I almost collapse under the weight of it.

That's because my burden is only to pray! Yes only. I am responsible to pray. God is in charge of the outcome! Let go, Mary. Let God. Pray in the name of Jesus for God's will -- not mine. Not even the will of those for whom we pray. No . . . we pray in the name of Jesus for the will of God to be established on His earth--in His world.

We are His beloved. Jesus already carried our burdens with him on the road to Golgotha. He hung upon the Cross so that we would know once and for all time that we are not alone, that we can be hopeful, that we are saved!

I believe in the power of prayer! I truly do. Having said that, I also know my own nature. I prayed this morning, both collectively and by name, for all those on my prayer list and for the prayer needs of others I may not be aware of.

Now I have laid that burden at the foot of the Cross. That is how I can best serve those in need of prayer -- pray. Then let go; let God.

~~~~~~~~~~

"When famine or plague comes to the land, or blight or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers, or when an enemy besieges them in any of their cities, whatever disaster or disease may come, and when a prayer or plea is made by any of your people Israel—each one aware of the afflictions of his own heart, and spreading out his hands toward this temple- 39 then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with each man according to all he does, since you know his heart (for you alone know the hearts of all men)"(1 Kings 8:37-39 NIV)


"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you" (Jeremiah 29:12 NIV)

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in pray
er" (Romans 12:12 NIV).

*(Photographer: Ake Dahllof and Emma Holmbro, from: Hill of Crosses)

Blessings on your journey,"
Mary

4 comments:

Loren said...

Amen Mary I come in agreement with all of these! I personally thankyou for your prayers for my Dad(Doug) and I know these other family members would do the same. You are a warrior in the army and I praise God for the battle in which you are doing!!

Bless you Bless you Bless you

Laurie said...

What a great reflection. I understand the burden of prayer and also understand how wonderful it is as we take it to the Lord and He lifts it. I am with you in wanting to take more seriously my prayers for others.
Love you and missed you yesterday,
Laurie

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi Mary,

Please know that my prayers are being said for Sharon. Sometimes when I get overwhelmed because there are so, so many in need of prayer, I ask the holy spirit within me to pray for all in need of prayer and then I pray that way as well.

Love you precious sister and I thank you for your prayers for my husband Ron as well. You are absolutely "Divinely Designed" in every sense of those words.

Pease, Blessings, Love & Prayers,
Alleluiabelle

rcubes said...

Lately, the Lord whispers so much about "prayer...praying together in my heart"...The needs are just overwhelming, if not with us, with those around us and here in blogosphere.

I can see your heart is burdened, too. Praying for Sharon as well as I have read about her at sister Andrea's site. Prayer is essential to us Christians. And I thank the Lord we can all stand in agreement even with this kind of technology. Blessings.