We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

What I Learned Today: Everyone Has a Story To Tell

Yesterday I spent my day at the 4th Annual Hanover Book Festival. To say I was blessed by the experience is an understatement! God is so amazing, that I just have to share some of the incredible ways He worked in my life yesterday!

I met at least 20 other authors of all genres--every age and shape and life story different from another. To be in a room full of networking, laughing, socializing, passionate writers was so inspirational! I had trouble getting to sleep last night because of all the excitement and well . . . if you know me, you know I "process" everything until it's been broken down to the lowest common denominator!

My first inclination after I got home was to think, "I only sold 3 books today." Then, though, the full impact of the day began to wash over me!

Think about this: everyone has a story to tell--everyone! Everyone doesn't write a book, but their lives tell a story. Every person has a story to tell. I realized that part of what we are called to do as Christians--as human beings--is to invite those stories to be told. In other words, we are to be available to listen, we are to engage in relationships, we are to encourage sharing. Wow! That really puts "ministry" in a whole new light for me!

I'm going to post some networking stories and share how God was with me as I "worked the room" yesterday at Godly Graffiti. I felt I needed to share these thoughts outside the box of writing, though, because it applies to all of us.

As we go through life, we acquire our story. We are to share our stories with others so they can learn from us and so they can be ministered to. Then we are to draw out their stories. There is power in the telling and power in the hearing. It becomes testimony.

"If someone ventures a word with you, will you be impatient? But who can keep from speaking? Think how you have instructed many, how you have strengthened feeble hands" (Job 4:2-3 NIV).

"One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent" (Acts 18:9 NIV).

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen" (1 Peter 4:11 NIV).

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

1 comment:

Loren said...

OH MY what a day! I can hear your passion and excitement! I don't write but being in a room filled with books AND authors....awesome!

This post made me think of Hebrews 10:24
Let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds.

sharing our story with others and having compassion for others story.....may we hear and share in love and may our ministry spur them on :)

this really speaks to my heart today Mary! thankyou!