We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Are You Happy Every Day?

It's been a full month since I last entered a blog post! It has been a whirlwind month in many ways! This is a "busy season" at my work and I have found myself mentally exhausted some days, still within the mid-range of my learning curve tracking so much new information! My job continues to bless me, though, not only with financial reward, but with heart lessons and soul lessons.

As I learn co-workers stories, I find I grow more and more fond of them -- and in some cases in actual awe. This job is the first "grown up" job I've had in a long time -- drama not appreciated or desired -- multi-million dollar decisions being made; errors can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars--not on my part but for many of my coworkers. At times the intensity is almost palpable. At other times the humor and celebratory spirit play out. Each day there is very much like life in the world--a mix of emotions and numerous opportunities to share God's grace--or not.

I would like to say my Lenten season experiment with consciously deciding to be grateful was a raging success! I have stuck with it, having had some better days than others. I do believe I have a better attitude, more often! I have caught myself before I form words of ingratitude or lacking. I have even taken to correcting myself--to myself mostly--when I start a sentence with "I need . . ."; No, I don't need any more than I have at this moment. Anything more is a want!

As I often do when I undertake a task, I did some research on gratitude. I read interviews with well-known people, a couple of books, etc., and one surprisingly poignant interview was between two superstars - in completely different arenas -- what I thought an unlikely pairing. God is so amazing, because I read out of sheer curiosity, not really believing I would glean anything of value or substance from either woman.

This is a brief excerpt from the interview between Jillian Michaels and Suze Ormon on how to be happy every day:
JM: Can you reflect on what the happiest moment of your life might be?

SO: I wish I could tell you that there was one. There’s a moment in every single day where I am happier than I was the day before and it doesn’t have to be because something great has happened that day. It’s a feeling that I get — not because of something external — it’s a recognition of how much I am at home with who I am and that I am at one with the world.

JM: Are you kidding me?

SO: It’s true, Jillian. The happiest moment of my life happens once a day.


The full interview is well worth reading. You can click HERE to read it. So this is what I'm striving for: that moment in every single day where I am happier than I was the day before.

How about you? Do have this recognition of how blessed you are - of how extravagantly God's grace manifests in your life? I challenge you to join me in this journey.

Be grateful. Be blessed. Be happy.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary...I thought I would comment the question you have posed on this blog post. "Are you happy every day?" It truly is a choice that one must make. It needs to be a genuine effort. When we choose to be happy, we are giving thanks to God. I must admit, we may get down on an ocassion or to, but we must count our blessings! Thank you for such a great post.

Toyin O. said...

It is so important to always count our blessings, thanks for sharing.