We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Why, God?

The weather in my part of the world has been beautiful this week and it was absolutely glorious today! The sunrise, stunning. When I went out at lunch time I reveled in the "perfect" humidity level/temperature and the sunshine hiding behind scattered billowing clouds.

Tonight on the drive home from work, I saw rays of sun streaming from behind a mischevious mass of clouds that seemed to move in time with the sun's subtle shifts toward eventual dusk.

But my heart is heavy and my mind races as I try to make sense of the sudden death of 14-year old child of our friends. I all too readily slide back into disbelief, inability to grasp the magnitude . . . my mind races through all the ways my friend "did parenting right" and how she poured her own life into the well-being of her son with a disability.

Parents of diabled children, I believe pour out every ounce of their own courage, strength, determination, fortitude and wisdom to protect and nurture them through their extra obstacles in life. Now, she does not have him in her life.

I cannot grasp the emptiness in their hearts and even deep down to their souls. How does this happen? Why, God? Why?

My own heart is broken! My own wisdom is lacking; my own faith is challenged. And I have just one question: Why? Why, God?

What words can I offer my dear friends? All the ususal words one utters at time like this seem even more shallow. I seek out scripture to give me a sign, some comfort or reassurance, some way to make sense of it all.

"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by. I cry to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me" (Psalm 57:1 NRSV)

This scripture is offered for my friends, who I am certain have no words at this moment. I lift a prayer for them. I cry for them. I beg God to give them peace and comfort.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: