We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

He Has Overcome the World.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33 NIV).

This is one of my absolute favorite scripture verses!  I have a lot of "favorites" but this one especially stands out.  I cling to this verse on many days! 

Life can be so hard, sometimes.  The world can be a scary, sad, difficult place! I find myself going through weeks and weeks feeling so burdened, overwhelmed, physically and emotionally spent. 

And then I hear a news story about a young New York police officer who buys a barefoot homeless man with blisters on his feet a pair of $99 all-weather "hiking" boots and thermal socks. That story just made me feel at the same time sad and grateful.  Sad that a poor soul would be living on the streets, not able to afford a pair of shoes.  Sad that it's a "big deal" that one person reached out to another in such a basic and yet profound way.  Grateful . . .  well . . . I don't have blisters on my feet . . . and I have quite a few pairs of shoes.

I can't believe this year is almost over and I haven't done very well living each day as if it were Christmas! Of course, life is just downright hard and can really throw you for a loop! It's easy to be distracted from our goals, easy to lose our focus, all too easy to forget all about the true meaning of Christmas.  Then I see a see a story on the news . . .

I really am going to try to spend the remainder of the year being kinder, gentler, more thoughtful, more purposeful; less rushed, less put-upon, less burdened.  And to remember that I am a child of God's design, planning and for His purpose. It won't be easy. But I am going to try. After all, God came to earth in the form of a tiny baby who grew up to sacrifice everything for me.

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere" (James 3:16 NIV).


Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: