We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Have You Not Known? Have You Not Heard?

I'm in an odd place in my life these days. Some of my dreams are beginning to come true. Actually, some of them are dreams I never dared to dream for myself are right on the horizon. Others have been dreaming them for me though, and praying for me, and uplifting me all along the way. For so long I didn't imagine the dreams they saw in my future could really come true.

I knew somewhere deep inside me that God had a dream for me too. I have spent a lot of time and energy assuring others that they were created for a specific purpose on the earth! But like a teacher who never lives what she teaches, I held back in my own life. It wasn't a fear of failure, because even the ventures and ideas I've had in the past that didn't pan out were never counted as failures in my mind. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right?

Throughout the past year I've been doing some very intentional, deep spiritual work. I've let go of a lot of what was holding me back from God's dream for me. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:11-12) I don't exactly know when things changed--when I changed. I didn't just wake up one morning as someone/something new!


My husband has been a role model and a tremendous rock of encouragement as he has experienced his own transformation. I have witnessed and benefitted from his grace, his wisdom, his strength and his sense of hope. Yes, he had some down times, even to the point of falling into depression. But he pulled himself out of it through his faith in the strength and power of Christ.

God also planned some "divine circumstances" in my life. He has brought people into my life who have been loving and encouraging and also held me accountable for my own growth and prayed for me. Some of them have helped me more than they "had to" and done things for me that they had no reason to do except that they were responding to God's promptings in their own lives.


The Lord is the everlasting God who does not grow faint or weary. He has sustained me, protected me, taught me and refined me. He continues to prepare me for His dream for my life. I am yielding more and more to Him. I have nothing that did not come from Him. My only choice, then is to give Him back what He has given me.

I love my God so very much that sometimes it just hurts. I stand in awe of His capacity to tend to the details of my life while the entire universe spins on its path. He renews my strength each day.

Whatever we may be going through, no matter how down and out we feel, no matter what life throws our way, there is a way out and a way up. We know it's true because God came to earth 2000 years ago to take the form of a man. He died on a cross and rose again from the grave into victory so that we could receive a victory of our own. God wants us to live into His dream for us. We just need to keep our eye on the Cross and we will accomplish it.


Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary, his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31)

No comments: