We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Where is your faith?

"One day he got into a boat with his disciples, and he said to them, "Let us go across to the other side of the lake." So they set out, and as they sailed he fell asleep. And a storm of wind came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in danger. And they went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we are perishing!" And he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves; and they ceased, and there was a calm. He said to them, "Where is your faith?" And they were afraid, and they marveled, saying to one another, "Who then is this, that he commands even wind and water, and they obey him?" (Luke 8:22-25 NRSV)

Photobucket

Is this a familiar scenario for you? I don’t mean being caught in a sudden storm in a boat! Well . . . maybe I do! I must say I find myself calling out to the Master in times of trouble. Those are the times I ask, “Why haven’t you allowed things to go the way I planned?” And much worse! And when something marvelous occurs, I marvel at God!

Oh, my . . . what a silly thing it is to confine God and reduce Him down to human dimensions. But we may have some consolation in that the apostles lived with Jesus - they had seen him perform miracles -- healings, driving out demons, and many other amazing acts. And they didn’t “get it” either! In fairness we often don’t see what is right in front of us. But what is the message here for us?

For me this passage speaks about how my faith falters when I find myself in a situation that is not going the way I think it should. Or when something happens that I don’t think is fair. Or when I’m tired and beaten down by the world. I’m good on an average day! I can profess my faith all day long and go into overdrive as long as everything is “going my way!” It’s the other times that I must admit I am challenged to keep my faith foremost in my mind and heart.

It is in the difficult times in our lives that our faith is tested. It is when we feel the farthest from God that we are challenged to look up--toward the Cross. It is when we want to take charge and force a point that we begin to act and think in a way that is the polar opposite of the faith we otherwise profess. Jesus asks, “Where is your faith?” The way in which we answer speaks volumes.

My prayer today is that you cling fast to your faith.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Clinging...yes sir reeee...I am clinging!! with all I've got..I'm clinging!!
Blessings, andrea

PS: Thank you for your prayers, love, and support.

Nana Jul said...

I'm clinging too! Both hands wrapped around His hand!
Thanks Mary!
Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.