We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Grace Abounds

"Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned -- sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sins were not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift in the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the effect of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brings justification. If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ." (Romans 5:12-17 NRSV).

In other words: God’s grace turns our world upside down! It’s just not logical to be loved in spite of our sin! It doesn’t make sense that no matter how defiant and disobedient we are, God loves us all the more! How can that be?! It seems so improbable that God in the form of Jesus Christ would walk the earth among us and stand in silence before his accusers. Why didn’t he defend himself? Why didn’t he lift his eyes to heaven and call out to his Heavenly father! Why?

Why did he do that? Why would anyone? It is inexplicable to be loved so powerfully! It is unfathomable that a God so big would love us so very much. It is unimaginable that we are of such great value to one so great and mighty! The One who made the earth and placed the stars in the sky--the One who waits for us in heaven -- Alpha and Omega -- is the One who watches over us and cares for us and loves us through this journey called life on earth.

But again, we must ask, “Why?” I don’t know! I love my children beyond description -- and my husband. I would certainly die for any of them. But would I die for you? Would I silently walk up that hill to be hung on a cross for my neighbor across the street? Or for the person in the check out line at the grocery store? Or the mechanic who works on my car? Would you?

I hope you spend today reveling in truth that Jesus died for you.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

4 comments:

Nikki (Sarah) said...

without grace....His Grace....I wouldn't be here today...I don't understand it but I am so grateful. Have a great weekend....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sharlyn Guthrie said...

God's grace does turn out world upside down! We need to reflect on it often. Hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.