We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Asking God for the "Big Stuff"

So I've been asking God to bless me -- about lots of things and in lots of ways and He has been so faithful and I am so blown away! Of course, when things turn out they way we want them to it's easy to be thankful and happy!

On Friday I had a thought: "If I trust God to answer all those little prayers, why am I not asking Him for the "big" stuff? I realized God answers all those little prayers to encourage us--rather to implore us--to ask Him for the really big, important, life-impacting blessings. I know this! I have known this!

Sometimes it takes a few quiet moments in the car to get my head on straight. Sometimes I need that time with God--not so I can tell Him what I want or think I need--rather to listen to Him. Prayer is, after all, a two-way conversation and sometimes we need to shut up and wait for Him to speak!

On Friday, I listened! God spoke - not like thunder or in a cloud of smoke, not with a voice I could hear. He spoke to my heart and my head -- He reminded me that, "And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work" (2 Corinthians 9:8 NIV). Also, "And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened" (Luke 11:9-10 ESV).


Photobucket

I won't share the details, but my list is being compiled. There are some HUGE requests on the list. You might think it's nuts to ask for BIG blessings. You might think it's "impolite" or ungrateful. I did for a long time. I sort of figured I have "enough" and there are so many who don't that it is greedy to ask God's blessings. Wait a minute!!!! Doesn't that limit God? Isn't that a mindset that says God has limited blessings to dole out?

Hello!! If I have limited blessings it is because I don't trust God enough to be without limit - whether it is in my own life, in the world, or in the universe! God is limitless-Alpha, Omega, I AM. HE IS. God who cannot be confined or contained is the God I ask to bless me - in ways that I cannot even fathom! He's done it before -- which is the really crazy part - He has blessed me in this way in the past! He wanted me to keep asking. I didn't--again my limited mind and reasoning limited me.

God wants us to ask Him for our heart's desire. He wants to bless us extravagantly! "Ask, Mary," He bids me."Just Ask."

I'm not asking Him to deliver while I sit back and wait! I fully recognize I will be required to step up my prayer life. I'll also need to be open and receptive to His leadings--that still small voice.

I fully expect His blessings. How about you? Is your faith in a small God? Do you believe God can "kind of" help you? Do you ask God for the little stuff and never even think to ask Him about the BIG stuff? I urge you to let go of the gospel of "a little" and begin studying the God of abundant and extravagant grace manifested as blessings He longs to pour out into our lives.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: