We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Random Act of Kindness - better late that never

Our family is on a really tight budget - like paycheck to paycheck, monitor the checking account daily, extreme couponing, well . . . you get the picture. But we do treat ourselves sometimes - I typically get a WAWA coffee and/or breakfast sandwich or McDonalds breakfact sandwich on Fridays. A small thing, but a nice treat.

A few months ago I started what I call "Random Act of Kindness Friday." Often, that means I leave a couple of extra dollars with the WAWA cashier and tell him/her to get somebody's coffee. Or at McDonald's drive-thru I'll ask the cashier how much the order is for the person behind me and if it's 'affordable' I'll pay for it. It makes me feel good - but I have no doubt it also makes the recipient feel good! What a blessing to realize someone did something for you - not because they "had to" but because they wanted to . . . just because.

This past week has been so emotionally challenging for that I really have been going through the motions of daily life. Didn't 'pay it forward' for anyone this week. On my way to work out this morning, the low fuel light came on and I made a detour to WAWA to get gas. I saw a young couple sitting on the curb at the entry road into WAWA and sign -- all I could read was "travelling" in big letters. I assumed they were stranded . . . maybe they had been evicted and were too embarrased to say so . . . It doesn't really matter to me why they are in such need they would panhandle at area intersections all week.

I've seen one or both of them a couple of times in the past week at one median or another on my way to and from work. We've don't really like to give cash - the 'experts' tell us that's not a good option. Sometimes I do it anyway . . . but this morning as I pumped my gas, I decided I would buy them 2 hot chocolates (it was still under 40 degrees and a brisk breeze has kicked up). And I picked up a $10 WAWA gift card. Needless to say they were pretty blown away!

Then I went to work out - at a gym where my company pays 1/2 the monthly fee, offers great health insurace, vision and dental care, retirement plan, and tons of other perks. Not to mention we've hung on to our home, and we have a wonderful family and vast circle of friends . . . it would take hours to call out all the ways we are blessed--I am blessed!

Yep, started to snap out 'auto pilot' and focused the day ahead - 12 for early Thanksgiving celebration dinner! Better get vacuuming, dusting, cleaning, and while I'm at it, thanking God for my life!

Random acts of kindess don't need to be monetary - somethimes I "take care" of something for a family member or co-worker so they don't have to . . . it can be anything. One's imagination can come up with a multitude of random acts . . . if we keep our eyes, and our hearts open and focus on others rather than ourselves.

"Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first" (Matthew 19:28-30 NIV).

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8 NIV).

"And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased" (Hebrews 13:16 NIV).


Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: