We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Come Out! Be Free!


"This is what the Lord says: “In the time of my favor I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances, to say to the captives, ‘Come out,’ and to those in darkness, ‘Be free!’ “They will feed beside the roads and find pasture on every barren hill. They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat down on them.  He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water. I will turn all my mountains into roads, and my highways will be raised up. See, they will come from afarsome from the north, some from the west, some from the region of Aswan.”  Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones" (Isaiah 49:8-13 NIV).

Such incredible imagery in these verses! So much hope is stirred at the promise of rejoicing, comfort, relief, rest, peace.


These last several months of the election cycle have left me so dissillusioned and sad, and sometimes just downright distraught at the state of our country and of the world! Added work load at my job has often left me stressed and worn out. The diagnosis of a serious illness of a close family member has sent me alternatively shaking my fist at the sky and falling prostrate at the foot of the Cross.

While the circumstances in Isaiah are completely different than those of my daily life, the words are not lost on me.  They remind us that God can--and does--provide for us, makes a way for us, cares for us, frees us from our doubt, fear and sin. I don't know how any of these situations will turn out. But I am (and all of us are) assured that God will help us, restore us, free us and have compassion on us.

No, I don't really have any right to complain about anything! So tonight, in spite of the burdens I am bearing, I shout for joy! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones!

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: