1. serious in intention, purpose, or effort; sincerely zealous: an earnest worker.
2. showing depth and sincerity of feeling: earnest words; an earnest entreaty.
3. seriously important; demanding or receiving serious attention
This verse from Hebrews offers a tough challenge! We are instructed not just to pray, not just lift our eyes to heaven and ask God for what we want. Nope. We are to earnestly seek Him! So what, exactly, does that mean?
The partial list I compiled (as much for myself as anyoneelse!) includes:
1. Intenionally spending time in the Word - with no morning news on the television, no checking emails, no distractons. Just me and my bible.
2. Praying for God's will. Asking Him to guide me throughout my day.
3. Pausing periodically throughout the day to rest in Him, to seek His wisdom in everything I think and do and say.
4. Thank God every single night before I go to bed for the day He has given me; beg Him for another day to grow and live as He desires.
I have more "earnest" days the older I get, but they are still far too few and far between! I allow the world and it's cares and values and issues to trump my relationship with God too many days!
Fortunately, God earnestly seeks us! He woos us, calls to us, reaches down from heaven to intercede for us. Because of our amazing, unspeakably good and gracious God, we can dare to seek Him--and find Him.
Blessings on your journey,