We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

God Earnestly Seeks Us!

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him" (Hebrews 11:6 NIV).
earnest: adjective
1. serious in intention, purpose, or effort; sincerely zealous: an earnest worker.
2. showing depth and sincerity of feeling: earnest words; an earnest entreaty.
3. seriously important; demanding or receiving serious attention  

This verse from Hebrews offers a tough challenge!  We are instructed not just to pray, not just lift our eyes to heaven and ask God for what we want.  Nope. We are to earnestly seek Him! So what, exactly, does that mean?

The partial list I compiled (as much for myself as anyoneelse!) includes:
1. Intenionally spending time in the Word - with no morning news on the television, no checking emails, no distractons.  Just me and my bible.
2. Praying for God's will. Asking Him to guide me throughout my day.
3. Pausing periodically throughout the day to rest in Him, to seek His wisdom in everything I think and do and say.
4. Thank God every single night before I go to bed for the day He has given me; beg Him for another day to grow and live as He desires.


Photobucket
 Of course, unless I am willing to respond accordingly, God's wisdom and guidance are of no value - at least that's what we tell God when we proceed of our desire and accord.  If God is truly the most important, most valuable thing in our lives, He is first and foremost. Living for Him as He would direct and desire trumps everything--relationships, jobs, where we live, for whom we vote, money, possessions--everything.

I have more "earnest" days the older I get, but they are still far too few and far between!  I allow the world and it's cares and values and issues to trump my relationship with God too many days!

Fortunately, God earnestly seeks us! He woos us, calls to us, reaches down from heaven to intercede for us. Because of our amazing, unspeakably good and gracious God, we can dare to seek Him--and find Him.


Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: