We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rainbows and Blessings Large and Small

While I have not been diligent about posting a list of my blessings, there have been many lately. The most recent came on the back porch of the family for which I nanny. Yesterday afternoon all the children and I were on the back porch. The boys were playing with their trucks, their sister was coloring and I had just put my feet up, set my head back and looked up - to see if I could find interesting clouds to point out or other phenomena in the sky.

Directly overhead I saw what I thought was a very faint rainbow! It was so odd because we've had no rain and none is predicted. It was a clear day with whispy, thin clouds, almost like spider webs in the sky. When I looked up again to verify my eyes weren't simply playing tricks on me, it was still there--this time very clear and vivid! It extended exactly the length of the house-well, I know it was much larger than that, but from my vantage point, that is where it rested. It was there for about 5 minutes and then it was gone.

Now being of Irish descent, I know just how lucky rainbows are! I also understand the biblical significance of the rainbow (Genesis 9:12)-a reminder of God's covenant with the earth. Wow! Lucky and blessed! Yes, I am both.

No, life isn't perfect--and some days it's downright tough. But God is in the heavens and He sends us reminders of that truth. We just need to look for them.

I also continue to be blessed with ideas and opportunities for enlarging my ministry. I have a blank journal for sale as well as Scripture verse card decks. I'm finalizing my poetry/devotional book for publication soon. I continue to receive free-lance writing work and other opportunities that contribute to our financial well-being.

God is so very good. He surrounds and enfolds us in His love and grace every single day. We just need to remember to look for the blessings He sends our way. Actually, sometimes they appear out of "nowhere" like a rainbow on a beautiful, sunny, early autumn afternoon.

1 Chronicles 16:31-Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let them say among the nations, "The LORD reigns!"

No comments: