We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Living After the Christmas Tree

I really like our family Christmas tree this year. The white bows and ribbons were used in my daughter's wedding several years ago. You could call it recycling but I call it reliving a wonderful experience for our family (and frugal decorating!)

I love to weave together the memories of our family life. Each year I go for a slightly different theme. This year I used white, silver and red as the primary colors. My son's ornament collection has grown to over 25 Mary's Angels from Hallmark (he gets one every year since his first Christmas). We also have Hallmark's Christmas Around the World ornaments from my daughter's series.

Rounding out the tree we have Santa ornaments, snowman ornaments and twelve "names of Christ" ornaments. Guess it kind of sounds like a jumble/ hodge-podge, but it was challenging not to put too many ornaments on the tree and I'm pleased with the result this year. (Can you tell I really, really love Christmas?!)

I know I should take the tree down this weekend - especially since I have a 3-day weekend and will finally have the time to reorganize and put away everything the way I have wanted to for the past several years. I hesitate because it is a visible reminder of my Christmas living pledge. It's 'easy' to remember the plan when I have that tree sitting in the corner of my living room.

I'm kind of in the hot seat, too, because I've 'put it out there' for all the world (or at least anyone who reads my blog:-). So if I 'fail' in my effort, everyone will know. But I guess the true failure will be in not trying to do it anyway. Failure is really just another opportunity to learn - and humble ourselves.

Feel free to check in from time to time to see how my Christmas living unfolds after the Christmas tree is put away and life resumes 'as normal.'


"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14 NIV).

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: