We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

His Commands Are Not Burdensome

"This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith" ( John 5:2-4 NIV).

As I prepare to go out of town for a few days, I have felt rather burdened--by work, by preparations for my family who I am leaving behind, by friendships I have neglected and friends I will have to put off for another week. By life! I'm not bitter . . . it's more a wistfulness, a realization that I have limited time and energy and ability . . . and yes, even limited capacity to pray and think and discern God's will.

This morning I "took a breath" and sat quietly in prayer, hoping to see a way to handle all that needs to be done, all I want to get done and maintain some small shred of sanity!

I was given the gift of an answer from a God who is so gracious to His children--all of His children. He is a God who loves us too much to leave us stranded and alone and left to our own resources. I am humbled and awed at His mercy, generosity and grace.

God's ultimate gift in the form of Jesus bids us, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:29-30 NIV).

Blessings on your journey,

Mary

No comments: