We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Angels Angels Everywhere

Several months ago I was on my home from work, driving on the interstate, speed limit 70 mph, bright sunny day. Traffic was pretty busy and I was in a hurry to pick up my son from work. I don't remember now what distracted me, caused me to glance away - maybe digging in my purse, maybe looking for something, maybe just plain distracted.  I looked up to see in front of me a lane of vehicles at a dead stop - long before the exit where everyone  usually slowsdown to merge from 4 lanes into three, two, one.

I was going 70 miles per hour. There was no - I mean NO - way I could possibly have stopped in time to avoid slamming into the back of the car in front of me.  I was in one of the middle two lanes, merging to three. There was nowhere else to go except into the back of the car.  I didn't SLAM on my breaks, but pressed the pedal all the way to the floor, praying that at least no one would be hurt badly.
Instantly after praying for the best outcome - all of this happening in split seconds - I just shut down - time stood still - there was no sound - it was as if I was in a vacuum.

My car stopped about 1 foot behind the car in front of me. I didn't swerve, slide, or even "burn rubber" as the car came to a stop.  I was surrounded by absolute peace and a strong sense of well-being - not to mention being speechless! (Ah . . .  that was the last time I was speechless as referenced in my previous post). 

Luck? Skill?  Fluke? Misjudgement of the true distance.  No. No. No. And no. There is no doubt what happened: angels surrounded me, forming a hedge of protection. There is NO other explanation. None. I had not thought about that incident until the other night when my husband made the comment, "You have angels all around you, didn't you know that?"

Honestly, I do know - and completely believe - that we all have angels all around us! If God sent angels to Jacob, Lot, Hagar, the Israelites, Mary, Joseph and the shepherds and on and on then why not to you and me?! Angels to warn us, angels to comfort us, angels to guide us.



"Jacob also went on his way, and the angels of God met him" (Genesis 32:11 NIV).

"With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished” (Genesis 19:15 NIV

"God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there" (Genesis 21:17 NIV).

"When the angel of the LORD had spoken these things to all the Israelites, the people wept aloud,"
(Judges 2:4 NIV)

"And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the LORD saw it and relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the LORD was then standing at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite" (1 Chronicles 21:15 NIV)

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them" (Psalm 34:7 NIV).


"Yet if there is an angel at their side, a messenger, one out of a thousand, sent to tell them how to be upright, and he is gracious to that person and says to God, ‘Spare them from going down to the pit;  I have found a ransom for themlet their flesh be renewed like a child’s; let them be restored as in the days of their youth’—(Job 33:23-35)

"[ The Birth of Jesus Foretold ] In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee," (Luke 1:26 NIV)

"The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you” (Luke 1:28 NIV).

"But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 1:20 NIV).


"[ The Escape to Egypt ] When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him” (Matthew 2:13 NIV).

Angels to protect us.


Angels, angels everywhere.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: