We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Monday, March 26, 2012

A Good Day to Play Soccer

Shortly I will head over to our church to attend a memorial service for a 14-year old child who grew up in our church family.

I am once again struck by the dichotomy of life - the sun is out after a dreary, rainy weekend. The sky is glorious, as I sit in my living room waiting to go over to church, I hear the birds chirping very intentionally, and have the deck doors open so I can enjoy the breeze. Yes, the sun came up today, just as it does every morning. And it will rise again tomorrow.

But today--this afternoon--we will grieve for a child who died so young. This day reminds me of all the Sundays he stood up to share with his church family about his weekend soccer games. He was delighted to have played -- never mattered if his team won or loss - just that he played and it was fun! (This was quite an accomplishment for a child with Asperger's who doesn't usually relish opportunities for public speaking.)

It's a beautiful day for a funeral. . . Perhaps that's not appropriate, but I rejoice that the child will be buried on a "good day for a soccer game" day. I'm glad the sun is shining to remind his parents, family and loved ones who will gather at the graveside that God does, indeed exist. I know the child is running and laughing and winning every soccer game in heaven. I just wish his parents could share in his delight.

They will have some long, lonely years before they will be reunited with their 14 year old son--their only child. But they will be - and I pray they dwell on that glorius truth as they begin to piece together the remainder of their lives here on earth.

My prayer is for them to feel God's love and care today. I am certain they are inconsolable. Only God and time can help them keep going, day by day.

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God" (Romans 8:18-21 NIV).

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: