We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Where Were You?

This morning the word "voice" came to mind as I was spending quiet time with God.  For some reason, I thought of God's voice when he finally answers Job - in Chapter 38 of the book of Job.

I say God finally responded to Job not to criticize God for being slow to respond when Job cried out. Job's friends did a good job of convincing him God had abandoned him--as punishment for some unacknowledged (unknown and inadvertent?) sin he surely committed.

The woeful tale of Job and his misfortune, his "friends" compelling him to "curse God" and even his wife becoming angry with him goes on for 37 chapters!  I focued this morning on Job's words, as what matters is our own walk, and we are responsible for ignoring or heeding those around us as appropriate. Yes, we all have those in our lives who deter us, who influence us and attempt to lead us astray. But in the end our walk is our own -- between us and God.

As I read Job's "complaints" I was amazed at how his words resonated with me -- and convicted me! I was also amazed that God allowed Job to rant and rage -- until Chapter 38!! -- before He finally lost patience! Fortunately God is patient with us as well. When we complain about out lot in life, when we begin to think we derserve more than we have, when we question God's grace in our lives, we are really sinning against the God who created us in His perfect image!

Job is properly humbled and ashamed of his tirade. God is gracious to Job -- and to us.  Even when we are less than grateful for our circumstances or situation -- God accepts our prayers of repentence and forgives us.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me if you have understanding" (Job 38:4).

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: