We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

You Do Not Belong To Yourself

So I had my 6-month check of cholesterol levels and blood pressure.  The report arrived in the mail earlier this week.  Let me state that none of the results indicate I am critical condition, but I was not happy with the numbers I saw on the very detailed report of just about every component of my blood.  I am at moderate to high/moderate risk for diabetes, liver damage and heart disease - should I continue my current lifestyle for another few years!

This was a wake-up call - and something I suspected for some time.  It's amazing that after only 2 days of no refined sugar or simple carbs I actually already feel better.  I was not tired and wrung-out when I got home from work! I haven't felt "full" and yet still "hungry."

I've struggled with my weight my entire life. But this latest report really shook me up. The bible tells us, "Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself,  for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NIV).

For me, that message rings loud and clear today.  If I am to properly honor God, I must care for my physical body as well as my spirit. I'm grateful to have received this report. I'm grateful, too, for the support I am already receiving as I begin this life-changing journey.  This time it's not about my weight - it's about overall health and the fact that I have a lot I still want to accomplish and a lot more to live for!

I know I'll have challenges along the way but I already have many friends and family members praying for and with me.

"We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light" (Colossians 1:11-2 NIV).

Have you had a "wake-up call" about something in your life? I'd be honored to hear about it.

Blessings on your journey,
Mary

No comments: