We are each designed for a unique and divine purpose. Live yours!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Lord Will Fight For You

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14 NIV)

Moses told his people this just before he parted the water for the Israelites to safely escape the Egyptians. They had lived in unspeakably bad conditons - slaves, starved, beaten, worked literally to death. Yet even at the prospect of freedom, they balked!  Fear is so powerful, isn't it? They wanted so badly what Moses told them God would do.  And yet . . .  they were terrified.

Terrified.  Of the the unknown. Of the past. Of the future. That God might not really come through. That they were not worthy of God's time, attention, love and especially his grace and mercy. Terrified. And anything but still!

How about you?  Speaking for myself . . .  I don't do "still" very well.  I'm more like the Israelites, I must admit I don't trust God as much as I should. And like the Israelites, I want everything that God promises.  But I keep getting in my own way! 

I'm a "fixer" and a "doer". I like to "rally the troops", "get the ball rolling."  You get the idea.  I spend so much time fixing and doing and rallying that I often forget to make time for God and His plans for me. I forget to be still so He can step in. And Moses reminds us "you need only to be still."  Such a tall order for such as me. 

David declares in Psalm 46, "He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  Be still! God will fight your battles for you. He'll wage every kind of war against your enemies.  He will place a hedge of protection around you. He will send His angels to guard you.  If you (I) will just . . . be . . . still . . .


"So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6 NIV)
Blessings on your journey,

Mary

No comments: